News & Events

Taiwan makers urged to build high-end IC substrate ecosystem

A sound ecosystem for high-end IC substrates has to be built in Taiwan as such substrates will still have a big role to play in backend services despite the growing demand for substrate-free advanced packaging solutions for heterogeneous integration of diverse chips, according to industry observers.

Unmicron Technology CTO John Lau said at the recently-held IMPACT 2020 forum that substrate-free heterogeneous integration packaging services including chip-first and chip-last FO_RDL solutions will account for 25% of the backend market, and the remaining 75% will continue to adopt IC substrates

Even high-end chips for networking and consumer applications will continue to adopt substrate-based FC-BGA or FC-CSP process, and SiP modules steadily gaining momentum will stimulate demand for IC substrates, industry sources said.

The sources stressed that IC substrate makers including Unimicron, Nan Ya PCB and Kinsus Interconnect will remain busy meeting market demand in the next 3-5 years, but they have to join forces to build a high-end IC substrate ecosystem in Taiwan to pursue constant upgrades in technology and equipment so as to stay competitive in the international market.